Monday, July 5, 2010

On Dying

Papa C passed away on June 25.  I traveled down to California for the funeral with my brother.  God allowed me to get a lot of crying out instead of keeping it locked inside.  I am grateful for this; it is not my tendency.  I even had some time of relief after all the crying and some theraputic pool and sun-soaking time.

This week I've been thinking about how death of the body is essential for us to to be with Christ.  Papa's body was weak and in a lot of pain.  It was failing, as all of ours eventually will.  What made me the saddest was thinking about how much suffering it has and will cause for his family, the people left behind.  But at least the physical struggle is over now.  One of the most beautiful metaphors for death, I think, is that of the seed. 


"When you put a seed into the ground (6' under), it doesn't grow into a plant unless it dies first.  And what you put into the ground is not the plant that will grow, but only a bare seed of wheat or whatever you are planting.  Then God gives it the new body he wants it to have."

"It is the same way with the resurrection of the dead.  Our earthly bodies are planted in the ground when we die, but they will be raised to live forever.  Our bodies are buried in brokenness, but they will be raised in glory.  They are buried in weakness, but they will be raised in strength."  --1 Cor. 15: 35-44 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.